Tuesday, November 25, 2008

பெங்களூர் மாரியம்மன் கோயிலில் குடும்பத்துடன் சென்று வழிபட்டார் துருக்கிய பிரதமர்

நன்றி : டைம்ஸ் ஆப் இந்தியா செய்தி

http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Bangalore/Temple_priest_recalls_Turkish_PMs_visit/articleshow/3757084.cms

Temple priest recalls Turkish PMs visit
25 Nov 2008, 2339 hrs IST, TNN

Bangalore : "When the police told me the Turkish Prime Minister was coming to the temple, I laughed and told them maybe he was going to Tata Institute and they'd got the programme wrong," recalled Malleswaram's Circle Maramma temple chief priest N Srinivas.

"The irritated police asked me why I'd invited the Turkish PM to the temple. I laughed and said, `Who am I to invite the PM of another country?' Only because of their call did I get to know the PM was coming," Srinivas told TOI.

The PM visited the temple on his wife's recommendation as she had visited it around 10.30 am on Monday. A top government official told TOI: "She was particularly keen on visiting a Hindu temple. We shortlisted a few popular ones, but wanted to see something unusual. Based on security and other considerations, we decided the Circle Maramma temple would be the best bet. She was very happy."

The Turkish PM's wife and daughter saw the pooja by the chief priest and took the theertha and recommended her husband go there too. The official pointed out, "We decided to take the PM to the Circle Maramma temple at noon. Logistically, it worked out well."

Chief priest Srinivas was surprised: "I wonder what they saw in this temple; I don't know why they chose it." In the morning, the PM's wife distributed bananas to monkeys near the temple. When the PM went there, the chief priest was anxious: "I was told to guide the PM. He came in without his footwear even before I could tell him. He was well aware of the customs in Hindu temples. I performed pooja and gave him a plate of fruits. He asked me whether he could give the fruits to everyone. When I said that was fine, he distributed the fruits to his ministers and gave me back the plate. He then took theertha and even suggested that I give theertha and some fruits to his colleagues. He asked about the meravanige devaru. I was very surprised. After hearing me out, he shook hands with me and wished me goodbye."

Circle of life

The Circle Maramma Temple near IISc was built in 1972 under the guidance of Narsiah, father of the present chief priest N Srinivas. It was originally known as Muthu Mariyamma temple and since it was close to the circle, people began calling it Circle Maramma temple. Within it are other temples like Gangamma, Durga Devi, Ganesha and Mahishasura. The temple receives the highest number of vehicles for registration in Bangalore.

No comments: